Fiske Family

Fiske Family.   

Alice_Tucker

Alice Tucker (Fisk) Marysville Resident 1892 - 1902

The first member of the Fisk family, Alice Tucker (Nee Fisk) arrived in Maryville in 1892 with her husband Frederick Tucker. Frederick was a police Constable and had been posted to the Marysville police station, which he ran for the next 10 years. During that time Alice purchased 600 Acres of land, part of which is now the Marysville Golf Course. They built a house very near to where the 6TH green is now located. Alice also grazed cattle on Paradise Plains and around 1900 she brought her youngest brother, Frederick to Marysville to assist her with the cattle.

Fred was to remain in the district for the rest of his life. A dispute over an account for produce booked up in his name, caused Fred Fisk to change the spelling of his name by adding an e. His family was thereafter known as Fiske.

In 1909 Fred married Caroline Walker, daughter of another pioneer family who owned Glasgow Farm Guesthouse on the Stevenson River five kilometres from Marysville. Fred and Carolines first child, Frederick Jr., was born at Glasgow Farm before the family moved to Alice Tuckers house where four more children, Charles, Roland, Beryl and Ken were born.

In 1918 Fred and Caroline purchased 220 acres of land adjoining the Little Stevenson River south of Buxton. They called the property Carmyle, and here they set up a dairy farm as well as developing several other enterprises. At Carmyle they produced three more children, Rene, Jeff and Graham.

When the children became old enough to help Caroline with the dairy, Fred took a job as manager of the nearby Moondai property.   Later Fred became a cartage contractor, first with a horse and dray and later with a truck. He worked on several road construction projects including the building of the existing Black Spur Road. The next development was a Hay and Corn Store Licence. This business was run from the farm, supplying, grain, hay, chaff and fertilisers throughout the district. Fred was the first farmer in the district to use superphosphate to improve pasture.  By the 1930s, the little farm, had a dairy, a piggery, free range chooks, and the Hay and Corn Store. The eggs produced were sold through the district and the dairy supplied milk to the local Buxton area and cream to the Alexandra Butter Factory. This frantic activity began to slow following the sudden death of Caroline in 1949. The youngest son, Graham finally took over the farm which was sold out of the Fiske family after his death in 2001.

Fred and Caroline also found time to be involved in the community. Caroline and the children were regular attendees at the Buxton Church of England where Caroline, and later her daughter Rene, played the organ. She was a member of Red Cross involved herself in local fund raising efforts by knitting and making jams. Fred was interested in horse racing and was President of the Buxton Racing Club for a time.

In 1935 Alice Tucker sold her property to Eric Dowdle, founder of the Mary Chain of guesthouses. Eric Dowdle built Mary Meadows (later known as El Khana) the first nine holes of the golf course, and a managers cottage on the property. The remaining land became a farm. The Fiske connection with the property continued as Fred Jr. was employed by Eric Dowdle during the construction stage and then as manager of the farm and the Golf Course.  His responsibilities included maintaining the golf course and collecting green fees, milking cows, running a piggery, growing potatoes and other vegetables for the use of the Mary Chain Guesthouses. In 1953 Fred and Violet took over the Mary Lyn Guesthouse and ran it for 25 years.

Three of the Fiske boys, Charlie, Roland, and Ken enlisted in the army during the Second World War. All returned safely although Ken spent three and a half years in a Japanese POW Camp. During that time he spent some time working on the infamous Burma Railway. Charlie didnt return to the district after the war and, Roland purchased a farm in Dyes Lane, Buxton. He later became a contractor, suppling power poles to the State Electricity Commission. Beryl worked as telephonist at the Marysville Post Office before being transferred to Melbourne and Ken was a popular driver for McKenzies Tourist Service after the war and then moved to Melbourne.   Rene married and lived at Robertsons Sawmill near Buxton, then as caretaker at Mary Meadows Guesthouse before leaving for Tasmania. Jeff and Graham both worked on the farm for a time, and both played football at Marysville. Jeff worked as a logger for Cooks Sawmilling Co. before taking his family to Melbourne, and Graham took over Carmyle Farm and worked for the Country Roads Board.

Descendants of Fred and Caroline Fiske are still living in the district.

Graham_Fiskes_Baptism_Certificate-1927Graham Fiskes Baptism Certificate - 1927

Fred_Fiske_Cartage_contractor

An order to Fred Fiske Cartage Contractor: - 1939

Caroline_Fiske

Caroline Fiske with Beryl and Roland at Marysville C. 1917

Violet_Fiske_Cottage

Violet Fiske at managers cottage at Mary Meadows - 1937


Website designed by Image-fx